Salt Lake County’s ZAP program has not only greatly benefited Utah’s Hogle Zoo over years but also 160 other arts and cultural non-profit organizations. It has helped fund the construction of 13 parks and trails and 17 recreation centers county-wide. Please support ZAP by voting FOR County Proposal #1 this November and let’s keep a good thing going!
Hogle Zoo Gratefully Thanks the Residents of Salt Lake County for Supporting the Zoo, Arts & Parks (ZAP) Program.
Did you know that it costs over $30,000 each and every day, 363 days a year, to run Hogle Zoo? Quite simply, a large portion of this operating cost is made possible with ZAP funding, including employment for over 200 full-time and seasonal employees.
The ZAP program was established in the mid-1990s to provide financial support to small and large Salt Lake County non-profit organizations via a one-tenth of one percent sales tax (or one penny on every $10 spent) in Salt Lake County. Those funds are distributed among local organizations and projects deemed qualified for ZAP funds by County advisory boards and the Salt Lake County Council. Many cultural and arts groups, such as the Utah Symphony, Ballet West, and Pioneer Theatre Company, plus many recreation centers, and of course Hogle Zoo, are supported through this fund. There are also quite a few smaller organizations who receive funding.
|Click here to watch the ZAP video|
Here are some key ZAP facts:
- The Salt Lake County Zoo, Arts & Parks funds over 160 arts cultural and zoological organizations annually;
- 13 public parks and trails have been funded;
- 17 recreation centers have been built and funded in part by the Salt Lake County Zoo, Arts & Parks program;
- In 2012 and 2013, over 6.9 million people benefited from an arts or cultural activity, event of performance offered by a ZAP recipient. Hogle Zoo alone hosts over one million visitors a year;
- Over 24,000 people volunteer for a ZAP-funded organization;
- In 2012 and 2013, Salt Lake County ZAP funded organizations provided 20,000 educational experiences/events for children.
Join us on October 1, 2014 for ‘ZAP Appreciation Day at Hogle Zoo’ and please vote FOR County Proposal #1 on Nov. 4, 2014
For more information, visit www.zapisyou.org .