All presentations are given by Zoo staff and volunteers and are scheduled by availability. Be first in line for a presentation by calling at the beginning of the school year to schedule your classroom program. To schedule a program please call 801-584-1763.
- Group size: Up to 35 participants
- Program length: 30 minutes
- Price: $50 for first class, $35 for each extra program (max of three programs a day)
- Preschools need to be at a licensed facility that are within a 75 mile radius of Hogle Zoo
Let’s Get Buggy!
Insects, spiders and millipedes, oh my! Learn about different types of bugs as we explore legs, body parts, antenna and fangs! Learn new vocabulary and brush up on your counting skills. Many people think these creatures are creepy but we’ll learn how they help people in a variety of ways!
Snowy winters can be bitter and cold, but animals make the best of it! Learn about how a lynx can walk on top of snow, how a wolf stays warm and why a rabbit changes colors in winter. A perfect class for our cold, winter days.
Fur, feathers and scales! Learn about our animal friends’ coverings and find out which group they belong to. Learn why scientists group animals based on their coverings and how to tell one group from vertebrates from another.
We currently only offer elementary school outreach programming on the following topic:
Our new Wild Aware Utah connects your students to Utah animals and conservation without ever leaving the classroom! This unique classroom program explores some of the many species of wildlife and habitats found in the state of Utah as well as how to live safely around wildlife. The program meets the Utah State core curriculum. It is designed for students in grades K to 5.
A trained educator will present information about Utah animals and habitats using biofacts — skulls, feathers and pelts to your students. To find out if this program is right for you, please review the information below:
- This is a FREE presentation, lasting approximately 45 to 60 minutes in length. Students will have a chance to touch and explore pelts, skulls and other biofacts.
- While not guaranteed, one live Utah ambassador animal may be part of your program. This possibility is based on animal ambassador availability on the day of your free program and is not guaranteed.
- One instructor may present up to three times in one day.
- Program must be within a 75-mile radius of Utah’s Hogle Zoo.
- Reservations must be made at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Maximum of 30 participants per session.
- Presenter will arrive 30 minutes prior to set up.
- Classes last approximately 45min-1hr (K classes may be shortened depending on the needs of the class).
Outreach presenters will need:
- An adult representative in the class at all times during the program.
- A PowerPoint presentation is part of the presentation. We require you to provide a working projector to facilitate this program.
The following are NOT allowed:
- Food or drink
- Other activities during setup or presentation
For a Fee:
- We may be able to bring up to three animals to visit your classroom as part of this program. Please let the staff know that you are interested in this option when scheduling your program and they will be able to let you know if our animal ambassadors are available to travel.
- The fee is $50.00 for the first presentation and an additional $35 for each additional program. (Maximum number of presentations is three).
- Sessions must be at same location on same day to receive the multiple-session price. Payment is required on the day of the program.
Our Wild Aware Utah outreach program is also great fit for science nights and scout programs. Some
restrictions apply: call 801-584-1763 to find out more!
GRADE 6 THROUGH 12
To schedule a Career Day Talk call 801-584-4551
Career Day Talk
Running a zoo is a big job that requires the hard work and expertise of many different people. There are those who work in marketing, research, education, guest services, exhibit design, animal nutrition and of course, zookeepers and veterinarians. Presentations cover job descriptions, responsibilities and educational requirements for zoo employees.
- $50.00 for the first program
- $35.00 for each additional program (up to three total programs per day)