Date: October 3, 2015
Time: 6:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m.
Place: The LEONARDO – 209 East 500 South, salt Lake City
Tickets: EARLY BIRD SPECIAL $125/couple if purchased by August 16th
$75 each for advanced purchase. $85 each at the door.
(For guests 21 years and over)
Benefiting Rhino Conservation Worldwide
Tickets are limited. Online sales will be available until 5 pm October 2nd . After that time, if tickets are still available, they can be purchased upon event start time (6:00pm) at the door but cannot be guaranteed.
- Garden Party Attire- Safari chic!
- Around the World in 5 Wines: explore (5) tasting stations representing vintners from around the globe.
- Small bite food pairings highlighting an innovative and artistic menu of organic and local ingredients featuring international flavors with exciting ethnic flair prepared by Executive Chef Zanetta Jones of The Salt Bistro.
- Peruse amazing art and wildlife photography featuring the beauty of what we’re striving to protect and bid on your favorite pieces in a silent auction.
- Opportunity drawing, including the chance to win a trip of a lifetime to Zimbabwe!
For more information about Winos for Rhinos, please call our information hotline at (801) 584-1784.
What is “Winos for Rhinos”?
This unique conservation fundraiser is a wine tasting/tapas event held in conjunction with an art and wildlife photography auction held on October 3rd at The Leonardo
in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. The fundraiser will benefit rhinos, rhino habitat and the people who share their homes worldwide.
Who is AAZK and what is BFR?
The American Association of Zoo Keepers, or AAZK, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to promoting excellence in animal care through education of zoological staff in innovative animal husbandry techniques. Association members are animal caretakers, researchers, conservationist and educators from around the world. Membership is over 3,000 and includes individuals at all levels of zoo staff from directors, curators and veterinarians to zoo keepers, animal health technicians, volunteers and students.
The Utah Chapter AAZK has volunteered hundreds of hours and collected thousands of dollars through fundraising efforts to support many local, national and global conservation projects. Most notably, our efforts toward “Bowling for Rhinos”, or BFR, has to date raised over $197,000, having sent a number of local members to the primary benefit sanctuary, the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy in northern Kenya. Over 60 AAZK chapters participate throughout the US and Canada raising over $500,000 annually and in 2014 we brought the grand total to over $5 million dollars! BFR funds support the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy in Kenya, Ujung Kulon National Park in Java, Indonesia and Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park and Way Kambas in Sumatra. These sanctuaries not only save rhinos but also protect entire ecosystems! BFR funds are sent through Lewa USA, the International Rhino Foundation and Action for Cheetahs in Kenya to support top priority needs in wildlife conservation. In addition to bowling, other efforts include Rockin’ for Rhinos, Rummage for Rhinos, Run for Rhinos, Recycling for Rhinos and now “Winos for Rhinos”!
Why do Rhinos need your help?
The current rhino poaching crisis has steadily escalated to truly alarming rates throughout Africa and Asia due to the use of rhino horn in traditional Chinese medicines. Rhinos have lived on earth for over 50 million years but whether they survive even 50 more is in question.
In South Africa alone, over the last 5 years: 2010 – 333, 2011 - 448, 2012 – 668, 2013 – 1004 and in 2014 a devastating 1215.
Rhinos play a vital role in how vegetation can thrive, thus having a direct impact on ALL species sharing their habitats. The benefit sanctuaries protect charismatic mega fauna, as well as hoofstock, small mammals, countless rare and endangered birds, reptiles, insects and even coral reefs, as well as support strong community development through literacy, hunger, health, women’s business and water conservation projects.
How will “Winos for Rhinos” funds be used?
Ian Craig, a renowned conservationist who helped found the Lewa Conservancy, described this current emergency as “an unfolding disaster for Africa”. In response to this global crisis, we simply must do something to help. Funds raised will be used to fence in and protect these precious areas, purchase planes and vehicles to curtail poaching, trans-locate rhino into sanctuaries & parks, purchase cameras for censusing, for salaries for anti-poaching security guards, provide patrol stations/equipment and training of park guards in anti-poaching skills. Bowling/Winos for Rhinos also supports strong community development. The local people who live in these regions benefit through supported schools and literacy programs, water projects, women’s business programs and health clinics just to name a few. With this support, we can help conserve all 5 rhinos and their ecosystems worldwide, fueling the war against poaching!
PHOTOGRAPHY/ART EXHIBITION & AUCTION
In thanks to the generous support of our event sponsors who stand strong to support rhino conservation!
If you are interested in contributing to the “Winos for Rhinos” cause, sponsorship packages are available prior to and the night of the event.
If you are interested in private seating for your group (max 8 guests), VIP sponsorship packages are available if donating $1000 or more to the “Winos for Rhinos” cause. VIP Sponsorships must be received prior to September 1st. Please call (801) 584-1784 for more information.
- Tickets will be limited. If tickets are still available, you may purchase at the door the evening of the event.
- Please drink responsibly and plan for a designated driver. The Leonardo and AAZK- Utah Chapter are not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged property and accidents or injuries occurring to any person or property associated with the event. We may refuse admission or expel any person whose conduct is objectionable.
- Tickets are non-refundable, non-exchangeable and non-transferable.
- Your purchase will be followed by a confirmation email. This confirmation email itself is NOT your ticket. Print at Home Tickets will serve as your admission tickets. Printed admission tickets should be taken straight to the entry at The Leonardo for admission. Picture identification will be required. Must be 21 to attend.
For more information, please call our hotline at (801) 584-1784.
CAN’T ATTEND? DONATE HERE