Current Job Opening Details
For general information about employment opportunities at Hogle Zoo, please call Human Resources at (801) 584-4510.
Department: FACILITIES DEPARTMENT
Status: Full-time with benefits
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Position Closing Date: April 29, 2016
Utah’s Hogle Zoo nurtures respect and appreciation for the natural world by providing diverse educational, recreational, and conservation opportunities.
The Director – Facilities is an exempt position that reports to the Assistant Director – Administration. This is a leadership position that advances the mission of the Zoo by providing the vision for activities associated with campus management including guest amenities, landscaping, and facilities maintenance. This leader oversees a talented team that works collaboratively with other Zoo departments to ensure a safe and dynamic campus for our staff, resident animals, and guests, while demonstrating a commitment to sustainable practices and serving as a champion for the Zoo’s environmental policy. The Director – Facilities provides direct supervision of the Facilities Office Coordinator and the Supervisors responsible for Maintenance, Grounds and Housekeeping. Effective communication, planning, and motivational skills are required.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Promotes the Zoo’s mission, core values, and strategic initiatives.
- Leads, manages and directs grounds, housekeeping and maintenance staffs in the overall maintenance of the Zoo, including: carpentry, plumbing, fleet maintenance, electrical, heating/air conditioning and mechanical repairs, landscaping, housekeeping and general upkeep of the site.
- Develops systems and procedures to manage the Zoo’s solid waste.
- Maintains the 24/7/365 mechanical operations of all buildings, facilities and utilities.
- Ensures the highest quality guest, staff, and animal experience by promoting the development and maintenance of modern facilities.
- Motivates, encourages, and creates a collaborative team working environment, leading by example. Ability to promote teamwork and communication within and across departments.
- Promotes and facilitates the professional growth of staff.
- Develops, implements, and monitors safety protocols, procedures, and systems to ensure safety of resident animals, employees and public.
- Ensures compliance with all governmental and safety regulations as it relates to the physical plant of the Zoo and Facilities staff.
- Develops and maintains systems for preventive maintenance and effective management of all areas of responsibility.
- Supports the Zoo’s commitment to green practices and sustainable operations.
- Effectively develops and manages Facilities budget, and oversees all related contracts.
- Additional related duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- At least seven years of experience in facilities management, preferably in a zoo, theme park, or other service-oriented facility.
- Demonstrated and progressive supervisory background with employees with diverse skill-sets and experience.
- Working knowledge of building and utilities systems, along with construction processes.
- Working knowledge of plumbing, sewer systems, sprinkling systems, pumps, metal fabrication, wood working, auto repairs, HVAC, and electrical systems.
- Commitment to developing and implementing sustainable and industry best practices.
- Experience in estimating maintenance and repair costs.
- Ability to plan, implement and maintain systems to improve safety efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Sound working knowledge of personal computers and related information technologies, including Windows and MS Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Experience with Green Building principals and maintenance [USGBC LEED Associate O+M (Operations and Maintenance)] preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Anyone interested should e-mail a cover letter and resume to Bonnie Thomas, Director of Human Resources at Utah’s Hogle Zoo by April 29, 2016. Utah’s Hogle Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Contact Human Resources:
Anna Fredrickson, (801) 584-4510
BACK TO JOB OPENINGS