SEASONAL JOB OPENING DETAILS
We are seeking fun and outgoing people to join our front line staff during the 2017 season!
For general information about employment opportunities at Hogle Zoo, please call Human Resources at (801) 584-4510.
Department: Guest Services
- Wage: $9/hour
- Hours: 25-40/week
- Start Date: Mid-February to Early March (weather dependent)
- Age: 16 or older
- Job Type: Seasonal
Guest Services Seasonal Staff
Are you an animal-lover? Think spending your lunch break watching elephants sounds like heaven? Come join us at Utah’s Hogle Zoo! The Guest Services department is looking for enthusiastic, fun and engaging people to work on our team helping Zoo guests and, yes, get closer to the animals.
Training begins at the start of the season in mid-February to early March, depending on the weather. The season will then run all summer long and start to slow down after the guest and staff’s favorite October event, Boo at the Zoo!
There is opportunity for hours in November, and through December for Zoolights (evening shifts).
There are always hours available on weekends in the spring and fall; 7 days a week in the summer. Employees should expect to work during Spring Break, through the summer, UEA weekend and during the Christmas holiday.
Applicants should know the following holiday weekends are busy and staff may be required to work: President’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day and Thanksgiving.
We are flexible with scheduling and the amount of hours an employee receives depends mostly on their availability.
Staff must be:
- Available on weekends and holidays
- Flexible with scheduling during the summer
- Consistently on time
- Have reliable transportation to and from work
- Able to adapt to weather and temperature
- Provide excellent customer service
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Speak comfortably in public
Gate/Admissions staff are trained in the following 4 areas and can be scheduled any position throughout each week.
- Ticket Taker– Responsible for greeting and admitting guests and members with either tickets, or membership cards and photo IDs, keep out prohibited items, and notify guests of events happening that day.
- Gate Cashier– Must learn and retain detailed information about ticket and membership guidelines and be able to relay that information to guests. Sell admission tickets or memberships. Cash handling skills are helpful, but not required.
- Rides Cashier– Learn and retain rider rules and apply them to ticket purchases on carousel and train.
- Wildlife Theater Ushers– Notify guests entering the theater of show rules. Must be diligent and consistent while showing guests available seating. Regulate theater capacity and escort guests out of the theater at appropriate times. Operate the music during the bird show and provide departing remarks after each program.
Rides Operators must be 18 or older with a valid driver’s license and clean record.
- Train Operator– Properly direct guests into available seats on the train, maintain age and membership rules, give safety instructions, drive train through exhibits while delivering interesting animal, exhibit, and Zoo facts and give departing remarks. Also assist supervisors in determining safe operation in inclement weather.
- Carousel Operator– Admit guests onto the carousel, give direction for rider rules, determine when the carousel has been properly filled, deliver safety instructions, supervise appropriate seating during ride, provide departing remarks.
For more information, contact the Seasonal Guest Services department:
Guest Services Coordinator
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Contact Human Resources:
Anna Frederickson, Phone: 801-584-4510; Fax: 801-584-1797
BACK TO JOB OPENINGS