Current Full Time Job Opening Details
For general information about employment opportunities at Hogle Zoo, please call Human Resources at (801) 584-1728 or (801) 584-1785.
|DEPARTMENT: EDUCATIONStatus: Full-time with benefits
This position is responsible for the development and facilitation of Zoo Outreach and Distance learning programs. The incumbent will develop, pilot, evaluate and deliver new Zoo based interactive outreach and video conference programs for school audiences to develop appreciation of the natural world. The Coordinator will provide supervision and direction to docents who conduct off-site programs. The successful candidate will have a blend of organizational and relationship skills as well as an understanding of biological concepts and in-depth educational development and presentation skills. This position will report to the Education Curator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop interactive outreach and video conference programs for pre/K – 12 audiences using Zoo resources and promoting the Hogle Zoo mission.
- Expand school program offerings that specifically utilize 21st century learner-focused educational technology such as audience response systems and smart boards.
- Facilitate quality communications with internal and external customers. Promote positive work relationships to accomplish the Zoo’s vision, goals and objectives and support management initiatives.
- Develop and maintain positive interpersonal relationships with staff and volunteers.
- Create and maintain and extraordinary guest experience through relationships, as well as identifying and meeting guest needs.
- Become a leader in environmentally responsible behaviors demonstrated by programs and personal commitment to the environment.
- Be a proactive education team member, assisting with set up and tear down of special events and programs both inside and outside the Zoo.
- Represents the Zoo at local and national professional venues.
- Supervise and interact with Docent volunteers for training, ongoing education, scheduling and evaluation needs.
- Coordinate the acquisition of supplies and materials needed for division activities, working with Education and General Curators, as part of meeting requests for program animal needs.
D Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of Utah’s Hogle Zoo philosophy, objectives and guidelines
- Graduation from a four-year college or university in biology, zoology, science education or a related field
- Knowledge and experience in pre/K-12 formal or informal teaching techniques
- Knowledge and experience in educational technology, including interactive videoconferencing and other distance learning techniques
- Excellent creativity, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated skill and experience in interpretation and dynamic presentation
- Ability to establish effective working relationships
- Minimum of one year successful supervision or ability to successfully complete supervisory training
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds without injury, walk, sit, kneel, crawl, bend, climb ladder, push reach, hear, see write, drive and speak to public audiences.
- Excellent computer skills required.
Anyone interested should send resume and cover letter to Utah’s Hogle Zoo, 2600 Sunnyside Ave, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108, by October 28, 2013, Attention: Chris Schmitz, fax 801-584-1797 or e-mail Anna Fredrickson, Phone: 801-584-1785; Fax: 801-584-1797
BACK TO JOB OPENINGS