Current Job Opening Details
For general information about employment opportunities at Hogle Zoo, please call Human Resources at (801) 584-4510.
Utah’s Hogle Zoo has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Public Programs Coordinator in the Education Department. This position is responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of the Zoo’s fee-based camps and classes. They also assist with the on-site school and outreach programming. The incumbent provides general supervision and direction to seasonal staff, interns and volunteers.
General Accountabilities and Essential Functions
- Works in conjunction with the Education Curator and staff to develop innovative fee-and non-fee-based educational programming for a range of audiences.
- Develops, directs, implements and evaluates educational programming (camps, classes, lecture series, fairs, festivals, etc.) on Zoo grounds and in the local community.
- Assists in the development of preparing program descriptions and supportive materials, distributing and monitoring publicity for the public programs offerings.
- Assists in the presentation and evaluation of school classroom and outreach programs.
- Supervises and coordinates hiring, training, and staffing for camps and classes.
- Assists in workshops and training programs as time allows.
- Assumes responsibility for the preparation and justification of the annual budget for the public programs section of the department.
- Participates in a variety of inter-departmental programs and projects related to exhibits, education, members’ programs, safety, etc.
- Works with other informal education organizations to forward the mission of the Zoo and to increase awareness of environmental issues.
- Is responsible for maintaining current animal handling skills.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Minimum Levels)
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in education, natural science, or a closely related field AND a minimum of two years’ experience in a position related to developing and teaching camps and classes in an informal education setting (nature center, museum, zoo, aquarium, etc.) is required. Any acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the background necessary to perform the functions of the position may substitute for the above.
- Knowledge of standard, commonly accepted computer programs is required.
- Able to work under limited supervision, both independently and in a team environment.
- Must be able to gain and hold a valid Utah driver’s license.
Anyone interested in this position should submit a cover letter and resume to Chris Schmitz, Utah’s Hogle Zoo, 2600 Sunnyside Ave., Salt Lake City, UT 84108.
Utah’s Hogle Zoo is Equal Opportunity Employer
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Contact Human Resources:
Anna Frederickson, Phone: 801-584-4510; Fax: 801-584-1797